Industrial Action at VIC Terminal Melbourne
We have been notified recently by FTA of Maritime Union of Australia’s Industrial Action against Victoria International Container Terminal (VICT) at Melbourne port. The planned action covers work stoppages as follows:
- Tuesday 16th February – Work stoppage for four hours from 4 pm till 8 pm. All terminal operations will stop during this time.
- Friday 19th February – work stoppage for 12 hours from 6 pm till 6 am the following morning.
- Friday 19th February – For 48 hours starting at 6 am, there will be a work ban by employees for using personal phones for work related matters.
- In addition to above, there are threats for a further 12 hour shift bans for Sunday 21st February, starting at 6 am and a 24 hour ban immediately following that.
- Furthermore, the industrial action involves ban on operating some cranes, an indefinite ban on overtime and various restrictions on communications phone use.
VICT terminal will extend some of their working hours on Saturday 20th February to partially mitigate the impact of this Industrial Action.
Please note that due to the protected industrial action, there is a potential for disruption of vessel sailing schedules just like we experienced last year in Sydney.
We will endeavour to keep you posted with any further updates.