Industrial Action and Stop Work Meetings
Maritime Union of Australia’s Industrial Action Against Svitzer:
Maritime Union of Australia’s Industrial Action has now slowly spread from port terminals to tug boat operator Svitzer, which provides crucial towage services to vessels arriving and departing all major ports within Australia. The Industrial action started at the end of October and is so far planned till 29th of November. It involves actions against Svitzer’s operations at all Australian ports. The actions include bans on overtime and recalls from leave, ban on use of Svitzer’s planned maintenance systems and any only training courses etc. In addition to these measures, there were separate work stoppages last Friday for 24 hours at Sydney (Captive crew shifts only) and Adelaide ports along with 4 hours work stoppages at Melbourne and Brisbane ports.
If this Industrial action escalates further, it has the potential to disrupt the normal flow of vessels in and out of port terminals across all major ports of Australia. Vessels need tugboats to tow them to and from ports before/after berthing. Disruption in towage operations will result in further vessel berthing delays along with increased vessel turnaround times.
Maritime Union of Australia Stop Work Meetings/Annual General Meeting at DP World Terminals:
We have been notified by FTA about Maritime Union of Australia’s work stop meetings at DP World Terminals in Brisbane and Sydney. These meetings are for employees to vote on a new DP World Enterprise Agreement.
- Brisbane Terminal – Friday 20th of November 2020 from 1 pm to 5 pm. Terminal will close at 12 pm and normal operations will resume at 5 pm.
- Sydney Terminal – Thursday 19th of November 2020 from 12 pm to 4 pm. In addition, there will be a terminal upgrade for an additional 2 hours. Gates were closed earlier today at 11 am and road operations will resume at 7 pm.
Furthermore, there will be MUA’s Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, 24th of November 2020 at DP World Terminals across Australia as follows:
- Fremantle Terminal – 9 am to 2 pm (all terminal operations will stop)
- Sydney Terminal – 9:30 am to 2 pm (all terminal operations will stop)
- Melbourne Terminal – 9:30 am to 1:30 pm (all terminal operations will stop)
- Brisbane Terminal – 7 am to 11 am. (All old terminal operations will stop. Road operations to automated modules will continue as normal)
Maritime Union of Australia Annual General Meeting at Patrick Terminals:
Maritime Union of Australia will also have their Annual General Meeting at Patrick Terminals across Australia on Tuesday, 24th of November 2020. Schedule of these work stop meetings at each port are as follows:
- Fremantle Terminal – 9 am to 1 pm (all terminal operations will stop)
- Sydney Terminal – 6 am to 2 pm. (all terminal operations will stop)
- Melbourne terminal – 9:30 am to 1:30 pm (all terminal operations will stop)
- Brisbane Terminal – 7 am to 11 am (all terminal operations will stop)
We will keep you updated as more information becomes available.